Hey, have you heard about the latest buzzword in the business world? It’s “reskilling,” and it’s not just a trend; it’s a necessity. A recent article in the Harvard Business Review by some pretty smart folks like Jorge Tamayo, Leila Doumi, and others, is shedding light on why we need to pay attention to reskilling in the World of AI.
So, what’s going on? Well, AI and automation are changing the game, and they’re doing it fast. Imagine this: in the next 15 to 20 years, about 14% of jobs could vanish, and another 32% might change beyond recognition. Crazy, right? And the skills you learned just a few years ago? They might be outdated already.
Now, this isn’t just about learning a new trick or two. It’s about transforming ourselves and our careers. It’s not enough to “upskill”; we need to dive into entirely new fields for many of us.
But here’s the good news: companies that get ahead of this curve, that make reskilling a top priority, are going to have a leg up. They’ll be ready when the talent pool starts to dry up. The bad news? Not many companies are there yet.
So, what does it take to make reskilling work? The Harvard Business Review article lays out five big shifts:
- Make It a Big Deal: Reskilling isn’t a side project; it’s a must-do. Leaders need to champion it.
- Everyone’s Job: It’s not just HR’s responsibility. All managers, especially those in the middle, need to get on board.
- More Than Training: It’s about changing the way we think and work, not just learning new skills.
- Make It Worthwhile for Employees: If people see the benefits and feel respected, they’ll jump on board.
- Team Up: It’s not a solo journey. Collaborate with industries, governments, and nonprofits to make it happen.
But hey, we can’t just talk about it; we need to measure it, experiment with it, and learn from it. Reskilling is a big opportunity, but only if we commit to it.
So, what do you think? Are you ready to embrace the multiskilled future? It’s not just about surviving; it’s about thriving in a world that’s changing faster than ever.
Curious to know more? Check out the full article: Reskilling in the Age of AI by Tamayo, J., Doumi, L. et al. (Sept 2023), Harvard Business Review.