The Future of Digital Marketing in 2023: Videos & Authenticity Take Center Stage
Digital marketing moves fast. Like, really fast. If you blink, you’ll miss the next big trend.
So how can you stay ahead in 2023? I’ll fill you in on the key trends shaping up for next year. Get ready for more video content, influencer collaborations, and creativity.
Videos Are King
The Explosion of Video Marketing
Let’s start with the obvious: video content is only getting bigger. Platforms like TikTok and YouTube give everyone a voice. And video styles are evolving, like user generated content (UGC). Even small businesses can make killer videos now.
The key is using video across the customer journey. Entertain and educate during awareness. Convert sales with testimonials. Retain customers with support content. Videos check all the boxes.
Different platforms suit different video formats too. Short form vertical videos thrive on TikTok and Instagram Reels. YouTube remains the go-to for longer tutorials and demonstrations. LinkedIn elevates thought leadership with professional videos.
- Lean into video marketing in 2023 across multiple platforms.
- Match video styles and formats to each platform.
- Develop video content for all stages of the customer journey.
The Power of User Generated Content
Audiences are over the flashy, fake stuff. They crave real connections and transparency.
User generated content helps. Let your happy customers do the talking through reviews and social shares. Show behind-the-scenes glimpses into your brand. Build trust by keeping it real.
Leveraging micro and nano influencers is key. These are everyday users with small, targeted audiences. Their authenticity makes the brand message resonate more.
- Showcase user generated content like reviews and customer stories.
- Build relationships with micro and nano influencers in your niche.
- Pull back the curtain to humanize your brand.
AI Enters the Arena
Embracing Automation in Digital Marketing
Think you need an army of creatives? Not anymore. AI tools like ChatGPT make generating content a breeze. And visual AI programs like Midjourney create next-level images and videos. As we’ve explored previously, AI is transforming marketing strategies and engagement in huge ways.
Brands that embrace AI early will have a huge advantage. Use it to turn out messaging fast. Then focus your team on strategy and relationships.
But don’t hand the keys fully over to automation. Oversee AI to ensure branding is consistent and messaging aligns with core values. The human touch still matters.
- Use AI to scale content production.
- Automate low value, repetitive tasks.
- Maintain human oversight for branding and strategy.
All Eyes on Influencers
Choosing the Right Influencer Marketing Partners
Influencers are taking over. Their loyal followers hang on every word. So collaborating with the right creators spells success.
Look beyond follower counts too. Engagement and audience quality matter more. Take time to find influencer partners who genuinely fit your brand.
Focus on nano and micro influencers in your niche. Engage a few who can authentically connect your brand with target users.
- Vet potential influencers carefully based on engagement and relevance.
- Prioritize nano and micro influencers in your niche.
- Ensure influencer partnerships align with brand values.
Privacy Prompts Pivots
Values-Based Messaging Resonates
With data privacy changes, traditional targeting is fading. Now brands need creative strategies to connect with broader audiences.
Focus on serving your ideal customers, not just selling to them. Entertain and inform them. Humanize your brand by sharing values and purpose. Values resonate more than demographics.
- Shift from demographic-based to values-based messaging.
- Spotlight how your brand serves customers and aligns with their values.
- Entertain and inform, don’t just sell.
Social Commerce Surges
Make Buying Frictionless and Interactive
Remember browsing store catalogs as a kid? Social media brings that experience online. Scrolling and shopping collide on platforms like TikTok.
To boost sales, have influencers highlight your products. Share demos and user reviews. Make the buying process interactive. Turn passive viewers into active customers.
- Enable frictionless social commerce through buy buttons.
- Let influencers showcase products to followers.
- Share demos and reviews to turn viewers into shoppers.
Education on Social
Position Your Brand as a Thought Leader
Beyond shopping, social platforms are becoming go-to educational resources. Users find how-to’s and informative content in their feeds.
So share your expertise too. Create tutorials and guides centered around your products. Position your brand as a trusted leader in your niche.
- Establish thought leadership with educational content.
- Create tutorials and how-to guides tailored to your products.
- Meet audience needs for valuable information.
LinkedIn Steps Into the Spotlight
Expand Your Reach With Professional Videos
LinkedIn is getting savvier with video marketing. Businesses share company news, behind-the-scenes, and thought leadership content.
As the social network for professionals, LinkedIn offers a prime opportunity to attract B2B customers. Demonstrate your authority with videos that educate.
- Produce authoritative, educational videos for LinkedIn.
- Reach new B2B audiences with compelling video content.
- Position your brand as a thought leader.
New Players Emerge
Keep Your Eyes Peeled for the Next Big Platform
Finally, keep tabs on emerging platforms like Threads, Bluesky, and Lemon8. Though smaller now, the next big thing could be just a viral moment away.
Staying ahead of the curve with social media pays off hugely. As we’ve covered in other articles, strategies like leveraging explosive trends and AI will be key differentiators in 2023.
- Monitor new and emerging social media platforms.
- Test and experiment with new networks early.
- Identify rising platforms with engaged communities.
Bringing It All Together
Key Digital Marketing Trends For 2023
As we’ve seen, authenticity, video, and innovation lead the way in 2023. To stay ahead:
- Go all in on video marketing across multiple platforms
- Prioritize user generated and influencer content
- Strategically leverage automation and AI
- Shift to values-based messaging
- Make social platforms shoppable
- Share educational content
- Diversify to new social platforms
The future of digital marketing is exciting. For the brands willing to evolve, huge opportunities await. Those who lean into these trends will win big.
So embrace the change, think creatively, and craft authentic connections. By taking these steps now, you’ll be primed for an epic 2023.